Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride! - Unknown


Saturday, May 23, 2009

Missing in Action

Wow! I know it has been a long, long time since I posted to my blog and I need to apologize. Things have been hectic with dealing with Mom's estate, taking care of 3 houses (one on the Eastern Shore and 2 on the Western Shore of Maryland), gardening, kids, work and life in general. Nuff said on that part ~ we all have life situations so let me get to the interesting things and give you all some good reading.

The stitching retreat was great! I can't honestly say I thought the whole Salty Yarns retreat was great because we didn't really spend any time at the hotel. The total number of stitchers expected was around 70 and when you have a old 1930's style hotel that is very narrow and not designed for a large crowd of individuals to be sitting in the lobby, it is hard to enjoy sprawling out and getting into a stitching groove. Of course, Laura, Sue, Beth, Jan (Beth's mom) and I had no problem going back to the condo Beth had use of and sprawling on the sofas and chairs and enjoying a stitching and a bitching of our own! In fact, I hope we do this again next year because it was really fun! I don't think any of us found the cost of the retreat to be worth that much and decided that next time we will save that money for stitching stash. Here is some pictures.....

The view from the condo on the Ocean.


The "Blackbirds" Me, Sue, Beth and Laura in the condo.

Laura and Beth stitching away the afternoon....

Beth and Jan (Beth's Mom)


It was wonderful having a weekend hanging out with all of them. I finally met Laura and Sue in person and it was wonderful. We all enjoyed sitting around talking, laughing and telling stories while stitching (or in Jan's case, knitting) and enjoying company. It was a great way to spend a weekend. I received a wonderful stitched gift from Beth and a RAK from Sue that I loved. The stitched gift was a Doodle which read "If friends were flowers, I'd pick you" and Sue gave me a Barbara Baatz "Christmas" Design, a handmade scissor fob, and some beautiful fabric. I will need to pull out my camera and take some pictures for my next blog!

My birthday and Mother's Day was hard this year. I really didn't want to do anything for my birthday and so I don't really have anything to tell about it. Just spent the day with the kids and working. I did enjoy seeing my azalea bushes looking so good after the winter we had and here is my favorite one. You couldn't even begin to fit anything in between the bloom on this one! Absolutely beautiful....

Mother's Day was spent enjoying a quiet day at home. I received a bouquet from my hubby and kids that was really pretty.
Becky had a solo this year at the instrumental concert at her school and did really well. She is finishing her 2nd year of violin lessons. Then both kids received a State of Maryland citation for taking a No TV challenge for 10 days. While it was hard for both of them to have no TV, computer or video games for the 2 weeks, I think they ended up enjoying themselves and spent a lot of time playing board games, reading and enjoying time outside. The awards were presented by Senator Simonaire and Delegates Dwyer and Kipke.


Finally, when spring comes so does my allergies which have led to my bronchial asthma flaring up again. When this happens, I don't feel like doing anything except sitting around and usually sleeping because the medications really make me whoozy. Hopefully, I can sit around some and get some stitching done since I have been in a real slump lately. Catch up with you all soon!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Good to have you back. You have had a lot on your plate lately, but it sounds like you are doing well. While it sounds like the retreat might not have been worth the money, it looks like the sit/stitch w/friends was priceless. Maybe there is a way for you'll to have a get together every year or two. And a congrats to the kids...it is amazing what they will find to do when no tv/computer is enforced!
Take care!