The beginning of June bought a big moment for this Aunt in her nephew's life. He graduated from high school this year and will be soon embarking on the next chapter of life and college. Moments like these make you realize that life is truly a blink of an eye and it seems like just yesterday I had this young man sitting in my lap while I read him a book. I was very honored to be present as he accepted his diploma and had a tear in my eye thinking of how proud his Grandma would be if she could have been there.
This past Friday, I spent the day with Ray's 4th grade class teaching needlework for Colonial Day. All the students were to dress up as a famous Marylander and report on his accomplishments. Ray chose Peter Cooper, the inventor of the Tom Thumb, which was the first steam locomotive in America. It was so fun seeing each of the student's outfits and hearing what they had learned. Even Mom got in on the fun dressing up as a proper colonial lady for the day complete with mob cap. I worked with about 80 students that day explaining the importanance of needlework in a household and talking about the history of samplers. Then each student worked on on following a stamped pattern of ABC on a piece of muslin. The other stations included colonial dancing, a food station where they tried traditional colonial foods, making colonial manner books, quill writing, also soap and candle making.Of course, it is time for another totally useless stitch-a-long with a favorite blogging buddy, Daffycat! Here is my jar which I keep stuffing threads into and hopefully I can add lots more odds and ends by the next update and at the same time have lots more stitching accomplished!


15 comments:
I always enjoy reading your blog and you have inspired me to try to update my blog sometime this week!
The picture of you and your son is absolutely adorable. Ray has a smile that can melt any heart.
Great progress on the Musician. The Lighthouse looks promising too.
You have had a lot going on lately that has been keeping you busy! Congrats to your nephew and for sharing all of your goings on lately! Your progress is looking great on the musician!
Your WIPS are wonderful, Carol! They are making lovely colors in your ORT jar too!
Lovely to see your stitching but even lovelier to see your lovely family and all their achievements.
Congratualtions on your nephew's graduation. Time does go by fast!
I love your stitching and how fun to share it with Ray's class.
Heidi-ILCS
How fun to share needlework with Ray's class! I always loved those historical segments in school.
Your stitching is coming along great. Nice job. :)
Congrats to your nephew on his HS graduation. I know what you mean about how fast they grow up. I had the same feelings when my nieces graduated.
Colonial day looks like fun! How did they like doing needlework? Stitching looks wonderful!
Congratulations on your nephew graduation and your your Colonial Day with your son. Your WIP is looking very nice.
Marl
Congrats on your nephew's graduation what an accomplishment! I love how you got a bunch of kids stitching, who knows maybe one day they'll become life long attachers too ;). Great progress on the Lighthouse and you're right tue back stitching definitely makes her pop!
Wonderful stitching on the Musician & thanks for sharing other events of your life.
Chris B.
Congrats to your nephew for his graduation from High School. It does make a person proud to see someone they love reach and achieve that milestone. I know that is how I felt when I went to my daughter's boyfriend's graduation a few weeks ago.
The woman playing the instrument is looking wonderful so far and the lighthouse looks like it will be fabulous!
Lyn:)
Loved reading your blog, You're so right about the time is gone in a blink of an eye. It sounded like such fun teaching the colonial stitching.
Mary Louise in IN
Yes time does go by fast. And June is always such a busy month it's gone before you know it. The Musician is looking great and so is your other WIP. I also, like reading your blog.
Hey Pumpkin! All the pics are fabulous; your nephew, and you and Raymond look so cute together!!!!!
I love your Musician; it is coming along great!
I am sewing your pillow today and will have it in the mail early next week! I hope you like what I am sending.......plus a little 'somethin, somethin' extra for having to wait so long!
Love ya
Post a Comment