My first read of the year was Stephen King's 11/22/63 which was excellent. While I am usually not a fan of Stephen King, I was reading so many good reviews on this book and when I saw it dealt with the Kennedy assassination, I knew I had to give it a try. Can I just say that was a really, really good decision on my part?
Of course, everyone knows how things happened after J.F.K. was assassinated on that November day in Dallas, Texas and how it changed the face of the nation overnight. In his book, Mr. King has a time traveler, Jake Epping, who manages to travel back early enough to determine that Lee Oswald did act by himself in the assassination attempt of General Walker and is able to stop the assassination of the 35th President of the United States. Along the way, he paints a vivid picture of life in the early 60's, while our hero falls in love with the love of his life.
How would the world be changed if the shots that rang out over Daley Plaza had not hit the intended target that afternoon? What if LBJ had not became our next President? Would Vietnam occurred? These and other interesting questions are addressed in this thrilling read.
I'm hoping to read 70 books this year. I must say having my Kindle is making this a lot easier to accomplish; however I can say that having a Kindle is like opening Pandora's box. The ease of buying a book is amazing and being a book-a-holic; I will need to make sure I don't blow my budget just sitting around with my Kindle in hand!
Friday, January 6, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I agree- this book was AMAZING! I was actually in Dallas while I was reading it, over Thanksgiving, which included the day he was assassinated. Very eerie feeling! I love going to Dealey Plaza when I'm there (which is usually around the time he was killed), because it's just such an incredible experience to be surrounded by such a palpable feeling of history changing on a dime!
Thanks for the review. When I seen this at the library a while back, I knew I had to check this out. I am on the waiting list at the library to get this, looking forward to reading it!
I've wondered about this book myself...I'm thinking I may have to try it soon :)
I'm with you - I'm not a huge Steven King fan because of his genre. But someone told me about this book and I've looked into it and definitely want to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it and gave this review. I wish I had time to read that many books this year, but it's hard to squeeze in both stitching and reading time these days!!!!
I also agree about the "danger" of easy downloading with ereaders!!! LOL
Post a Comment