Thursday was the kid's first day off school and I went into work as usual at o'dark thirty in the morning. When I came home I asked the kids to put the dogs out for their bathroom break and when they came in just started getting ready for Cubscouts. After scouts when we came home I realized Sam was missing. Sam is my Mom's dog which I inherited upon her death along with her orange tabby cat, Ginger, to bring up total animal count up to 8 (4 dogs and 4 cats). Frantically I started looking for him along with George until almost 2'oclock in the morning. Got up early for work and waited to call the local Animal Shelter to see if they had picked him up. Their answer: come by to see for yourself - we don't answer questions over the phone. George rode over and found our own little convict in isolation/observation and called me with the happy news. I was never so relieved! I had pretty much spent the night crying wondering if I would find Sam since he is somewhere between 15-17 years old. He isn't in the best of health but is happy just being with his family and I plan on taking care of him until it is his time to join his owner. We did take him to the vets which is something we hadn't done since taking him over in March and found out he had a major skin infection which had been bothering him for quite sometime. After a few other cursory treatments (ear cleaning, nail trimming) and purchasing medication for his ears, worming (as a precaution) and steroids and antibiotics for the skin infection we were $373.00 shorter in our wallets. To spring our "Folsom County Prison" convict out of the slammer was another $100.00. Turned out he snuck out of the house when George and the kids were leaving to go to daycare. Hopefully, Mr. Happy Feet (or as the Animal Control officer nicknamed him - Shuffles) will not pull this little stunt again!
Friday, June 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Carol,
Poor little guy and your poor wallet! I can totally relate as I have a 12 year old cocker spaniel who doesn't wander(yet anyway)but is costing her weight in gold at the vet lately..heart murmur, skin infections, antibiotics, arthritic meds, weekly baths at the spa(as I can it). But she is still happy being with me so I just pay until she is ready to be done.
poor doggy! I bet he was so scared. I am glad you were able to get him back. My dog is up there in years & he would be terrified if that happened to him!!
Post a Comment