Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride! - Unknown


Monday, January 17, 2011

Stitching Question & A Knitting Update

I have been stitching right along on my Peace on Earth by Prairie Schooler and I can honestly say this is really coming along quite nicely. I love the house and am planning on stitching the horse drawn sleigh in the very near future.

However, the design calls for DMC 919 (Red Copper) for the holly berries and the bow on the front of the house. Here is a picture of the skein against the rest of the design so far and it just doesn't seem right to me. I'm thinking about substituting another DMC color that is a deeper, truer red or perhaps a cranberry. What do you think? I would like to ask you stitchers out there what color DMC you would think would work for this design. I think the DMC919 is to orangey of a color for holly berries to my taste.


My knitting is coming along a little slower but the antibiotics and decongestants made me feel so loopy I was afraid of a mass frog attack occurring on Ray's scarf. Now that I'm starting to feel a little more like myself, I'm hoping to pick up the progress on this again. Here is where I'm currently at... You know they say slow but sure wins the race.

Here is a close up of the pattern, I absolutely love the texture of this design! Between the color and the pattern, I think I might end up borrowing this scarf from my son once in a while.

Until next update, enjoy your stitching, knitting, reading, family and whatever else you do!

~Carol

15 comments:

Carol said...

Hi Carol--I've stitched this also and did the same thing with that color. (In fact on a lot of PS pieces I don't care for the reds that are charted so I switch them to DMC 221 or a brighter red.) That is one of my favorite pieces--can't wait to see yours finished.

Hope you're feeling better very soon!

CJ said...

Hi Carol -

YOu are so right about the red, it is way too orange. It is even displayed witht he oragnes in my DMC Color Card. I think 321 or 817 might be worth a look.

Love the color of your son's scarf.

Have a great day.

CJ

Shari said...

I agree......that red just looks odd to me with the other colors....
you have enabled me thou......have to see if I have that pattern!! I really, really must stitch some PS charts.......I love seeing everyone's!!!!!
wow, love the colors of the scarf!!!! So pretty!!!!

Berly said...

Carol, I love that scarf! The gree is so vibrant and the texture is gorgeous! And, I agree with the rest, 919 is too orangey. I'd switch it out for 666.

Anonymous said...

You're the artist...Make it yours! :o) I like the pattern...Will have to see if I can find it somewhere. Beautiful scarf color as well.

Happy Stitching!

Peggy
http://memoriesgardendesigns.blogspot.com/

Carolyn NC said...

Switch it out I think. Love the stitching and the scarf!

Meari said...

Probably another shade would be better. Go with what you think looks good. :) Your piece is coming along nicely.

Sue said...

I think that a shade of red or cranberry like you said would be much better! The stitching so far looks fabulous and Ray's scarf is such pretty yarn!

Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Whatever color you choose will be perfect if you like it. Love the color you chose for the scarf. It looks soooooo soft. Thanks for sharing.
Betty in AZ (ILCS)

Debby said...

I'm going to go a bit of a different direction here - while I agree that this is an "odd" red for berries and such, it is rather pretty against the colors you are using. That being said, I think you should put in 1 or 2 berries - it's amazing how different the color will look with only 2 strands and actually stitched next to the other colors. Then if you don't like it, there isn't too much to frog and put in something that is more traditional!

Ziggyeor said...

Ohh I like the knitting. Very nice.

I think I agree with Debby stitch a few and see how it looks first.

angel parker said...

lol I was reading the comments, and I too have switched the reds on ps santas to 321. It looks like a more christmasy red. I think the dmc 221would look good or even crescent colors bing cherry. I used it in a LHN project and loved it.

Sunshine said...

The Red is the perfect color. I look forward to seeing your finish.

Debra said...

The scarf is going to be beautiful.

Lyn said...

The cranberry will be pretty in it.