I have spent quite a bit of time this past month reading books while waiting for doctor appointments and when I didn't feel like stitching in the evening because I felt too tired and was afraid I would make too many mistakes. I managed to finish 3 books this month and am over halfway through a fourth.
Since I already gave the review of Nora Robert's The Search, I won't elaborate on it again. You can find the blog review of it here.
Maggie Sefton has a really fun to read series called the Knitting Series based on a fictional group of friends in Colorado. I read most of this series in 2010 and finished the latest book, Skein of the Crime, this month. These are great books that are a light read, fun plot, interesting characters and the best part; each book contains easy knitting patterns that anyone from a novice to a more advanced stitcher could enjoy. I am looking forward to her next book coming out in this series later this year and will be anxiously waiting to sign it out of the library when it is available.
I also read "The Sugar Camp Quilt" by Jennifer Chiaverini which is another series I have been reading since starting my reading journal last year. What can you say about this series???? It is something you would enjoy even if you have never picked up a needle or a thread and this book was one I just could not sit down! This specific novel tells the story of a Underground Railroad station in the period before the Civil War. Dorthea Granger is requested by her Uncle Jacob to piece together a quilt that unbeknowst to her is a map for runaway slaves to help them find their way North to freedom. Upon his death, Dorthea learns of her Uncle's involvement and her family decides to continue assisting in this cause. Ms. Chiaverini has created a superb storytelling technique that draws a reader into the time and place of the events and while you may know nothing about quilting, you enjoy every moment of her books.
Currently, I am reading a novel by LaVyrle Spencer called Slightly Shady. Will be providing an update when I'm finished which should be soon!
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I love both series, the Maggie Sefton ones and Jennifer Chiaverini's quilting books. Those have been absolutely fabulous and Maggie's are fun! Especially since I live in Colorado and they are based just "up the road a ways" from me!!!
I hope you've included Monica Ferris' books in your reading - she writes about a needlework shop owner in Minnesota who is also a "crime slueth"! Another fun read.
Post a Comment